Sunday, December 28, 2008

5 good things about the worst breakup of my life.

  1. It made me closer to my mom, and tremendously so. During the first few weeks after hearing he had fallen for somebody else (and so soon), I was on the phone with my mom for hours, sometimes three times a day. I called in the morning before she woke up, in the afternoon while she was at work, in the middle of the night when she was in bed. Each time I sat on the other end, crying out the constant hurt. After weeks of this had past, my mom was still emailing me daily inspirational quotes, encouraging me to be strong, live big and love wholly. We've never been closer.
  2. Good thing number two: I lost five pounds! After much thought, I'm pretty sure it was just God, sick and tired of hearing me complain about my minor weight gain. "I'll give you something to stop eating over," he said, and BAM, my heart was too broken to digest food. Good one God, you're punchy.
  3. Then ironically, my faith in God increased. I'm not sure how that worked actually, as when terrible things happen, we usually tend to blame instead of embrace. I actually found a deep deep solace in His love, despite the foulness of the situation. All it took was for me to lose my boyfriend, my first love, and my best friend in abnormally quick succession. While ex-boyfriend rebounded on the closest girl, I rebounded on God.
  4. It made me value friendship. I became a better friend, keeping in touch in ways I hadn't before been capable of. I wrote letters, sent emails, prayed for people other than myself - and sincerely so. It's been important to me, ever since, that I be the best friend that I can be to the people in my life. When it comes down to it, it's the least I can do for their loyalty and companionship.
  5. And lastly, without heartstings to bind a piece of me elsewhere, I have been more able to appreciate the moments in my life, good timing too, as I am in the midst of a year of life in Europe. I have made amazing friends and fallen in love with places; opportunities that I couldn't have embraced as fully were I still remotely in love. This means that despite a radiating internal pain, frequent feelings of tremendous inadequacy and an inherent mistrust in clever, witty, beautiful women, I have both survived and developed qualities that I truly am proud of. By losing one relationship, I have developed on many others, and it is in this way that I find it difficult to wholly loath the situation. Perhaps, after all this, the misery and heartbreak were all, actually, for my benefit.
Optimism, at it finest.

No comments: