Monday, October 13, 2008

20. Participate in at least 20 outdoor Activities - Maunawili Falls

1. Saturday, October 11, 2008 - Hiking Maunawili Falls in Hawaii, USA.

With one week left before I move to Germany, a few friends and I headed to Maunawili Falls to work our gluts and jump from cliffs. The trek itself was simple and enjoyable, except for the crossing of the streams, which was just a pain in the butt. Eventually we hit a place that looked like something out of Lost and on our way back, we ran in and acted like jungle people. Vines as scarves, ferns in our hair, James threw me over his shoulder and dunked me in the bush.

At the end of the main trail is the main waterfall, maybe 10 feet, which many people jump off of (see picture of three lovely ladies taking the plunge). If you take a separate trail just prior to the water, you'd be taken upward through a muddy jungle path to another jumping point, 50 feet above the water. This is the trail that separates the boys from the men, and being uninclined to feel any validation of my masculinity, I stayed in the shallows and watched men fall from the sky.Not wanting to be completely unadventurous, I traveled above the main waterfall in to a smaller waterfall that fed the first. I climbed that, stood 15 feet in the air and jumped. Oh, not without five minutes of coaxing, but I did it regardless with the help of the ultimate power statement, "FOR GERMANY!!!" Terrified but victorious, I conquered heights and fresh water all in one day. I may have leptospirosis, like everyone there, but who cares. All for fun and fun for all.

No comments: