Thursday, November 12, 2009

34. Make a mixed tape every two months and snail mail it to friends and family

OCTOBER 2008 - Installment 1 - GERMAN SEND-OFF PLAYLIST
This CD was made for my German send-off Party on October the 17th. If you were given this CD, chances are I am listening to the same songs (sans the German ones. Those were to serve as reminders to where I'd be). This is probably one of my favorite mixes to date.

1. Cabaret - Wilkommen
2. Her Space Holiday - Same Song Sing Along
3. Miniature Tigers - Cannibal Queen
4. Adam Green - Tropical Island
5. The Magnetic Fields - Strange Powers
6. Mason Jennings - I Love You and Buddha Too
7. Noah and the Whale - 5 Years Time (Sun Sun Sun)
8. Laura Marling - New Romantic
9. Soko - The Dandy Cowboys
10. Nina - 99 Luftballons
11. Toby Goodshank - Raw Peehole Gospel
12. Chairlift - Bruises
13. Benji Hughes - Tight Tee Shirt
14. Lucy Schwartz - I Don't Know a Thing
15. Cheese on Bread - Modern Art Gallery
16. Ben Sadock - Pity the Fool
17. Emma Dean - 3 Meals
18. Wayne Newton - Danke Schoen


NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2008 - Installment 2 - RUNNING FROM IT
This playlist is a little more upbeat despite being heartbroken to the point of malfunction (occasionally). These are the songs that I listen to when I run, which is the reason for their almost un-Nix qualities (wait till you hear number 4 and 12, wouldn't have listened to those a few months ago). I love love love the selection, and listen to it even when I'm folding laundry or making beds. Anyway, enjoy! ps. My computer hasn't been burning correctly for a while which is why the CDs will be sent when I return from the UK and Ireland.

1. Sam Hart - Mario Kart Love Song [found him on YouTube! Watch him at Blinktwice4y]
2. Lily Allen - Don't get me wrong [First heard this while shopping in Paris. It was nearly impossible to find]
3. Laura Marling - Crawled Out of the Sea (Interlude)
4. Metro Station - Shake it!
5. Miniature Tigers - Dino Damage
6. The More Assured - All in Your Head
7. The Maccabees - Toothpaste Kisses [Cutest song ever]
8. Amy MacDonald - Mr. Rock and Roll [Kate played this song while cooking lunch one day and I had to track her down].
9. Bombay Bicycle Club - Ghost
10. Noah and the Whale - Rocks and Daggers
11. Beck - Sexx Laws [You gotta love this song]
12. The Ting Tings - Shut Up and Let Me Go
13. Pete and the Pirates - Mr. Understanding
14. Those Dancing Days - Those Dancing Days
15. Born Ruffians - Hummingbird
16. Kate Nash - Merry Happy
17. Bombay Bicycle Club - Open House
18. Soko - I'll Kill Her [This is where music reflects my reality].
19. Thomas Tantrum - Work it
20. Miniature Tigers -Hot Venom


JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2009 - Installment 3 - TRANSITIONS
This is a special compilation for the songs within have been accumulated from my travels through England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, my move to Italy and my visit to the US. Once again, many of this songs I hear in subways, pubs, cafes, YouTube, other people, etc, and nearly every song here has a story. I hope you find ways to enjoy this mix as much as I have. Introducing the 3rd installment - Transitions.

  1. Alphabeat - 10,000 Nights of Thunder [This song I first heard when I was sitting in my neighbor, Kelly's, apartment, crying for the first time since my grandma had her stroke. It was moments before that I realized that my grandma was going to die].
  2. This Providence - A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing.
  3. Angus & Julia Stone - Paper Aeroplane.
  4. Ambulance LTD - Anecdote.
  5. Kristoffer Ragnstam - Swing that Tambourine [I first heard this song while I was sitting in an airport, either SFO or JFK, on my 37 hour trek back home to Hawaii. For some reason they play excellent music at these airports. Anyway, I scribbled down the lyrics and hunted for the song as soon as I got home].
  6. Iglu & Hartly - In this City
  7. Scouting for Girls - Mountains of Navaho [In my apartment, I have access to other peoples' itunes music via Limewire. I was browsing through someone's collection when I stumbled across this artist and fell in love instantly].
  8. Pomplamoose - Hail Mary [This is a side project of Jack Conte, (see track 15), and his girlfriend. I first found their band after obsessively watching Jake Conte's VideoSongs on YouTube. The Hail Mary VideoSong can be found at this link!]
  9. Palomar - Albacore
  10. Moneybrother - Reconsider Me
  11. Boys Like Girls - Hero / Heroine [My weird obsession with the Twilight series has put me in the strangest mood in which I appreciate, and dare I say seek out this genre of music. Still, I can not deny it! I love this song!!!]
  12. The Matches - AM Tilts [This song is so badass, love it].
  13. Steve Earle - The Galway Girl [Needless to say, I first heard this song in a pub in Ireland being sung by its patrons. Know this track and you've got in made in the Green Isle].
  14. Her Space Holiday - The Boys and Girls.
  15. Jack Conte - Eat [As mentioned above, the creator of the VideoSong. A VideoSong is a new Medium with two rules: 1. What you see is what you hear (no lip-syncing for instruments or voice) and 2. If you hear it, at some point you see it (no hidden sounds). Extremely interesting concept that makes for visual/audio art. Link here!]
  16. The Moths! - Wild Birds
  17. She & Him - Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? [The Lead Singer, Zoey Deschanel, is also the female lead in the movie Elf. I watched that movie last week and fell in love with her old school voice as she sang in the bathroom. By chance, I found her band, and downloaded immediately].
  18. 3OH!3 - Don't Trust Me [HAHA, first heard this on YouTube from the user WasteTimeChasingCars. He's dancing to it and it's nothing special, but I couldn't stop singing the chorus to the song. Link here].
  19. The Inconsolables - Hoverfly.
  20. Lily Frost - Enchantment.

MARCH/APRIL 2009 - Installment 4 - WHOLE
1. Eisley - Marsh King's Daughter
2. Florence and the Machine - Dog Days are Over
3. Mystery Jets - Two Doors Down
4. Ida Maria - I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
5. Cage the Elephant - In One Ear
6. P.T. Walkley - Audrey Macy
7. Tim Myers - The Lucky Ones
8. Newton Faulkner - Gone in the Morning
9. Thomas Cunningham - Swell
10. Katie Costello - Kaleidoscope Machine
11. Arisa - Sinceritá
12. Santigold - I'm a Lady
13. The Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat (Feat. T-Pain)
14. The Enemy UK - Had Enough
15. Mystery Jets - Young Love
16. Florence and the Machine - Kiss with a Fist
17. Young Knives - Up All Night
18. The Hoosiers - Worried About Ray
19. Thomas Cunningham - Long Goodbyes
20. Charlene Soraia - Distorted Thoughts
21. The Hoosiers - Goodbye Mr. A
22. Katie Costello - Songbird
23. College Humor - Flame War

MAY/JUNE 2009 - Installment 5 - FALLING
1. Kid British - Our House is Dadless
2. Golden Sivers - Arrows of Eros
3. Harlem Shakes - Sunlight
4. Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position
5. Le Corps Mince de Francois - Cool and Bored
6. Boy Crisis - Dressed to Digress
7. Micachu - Abandon Ship
8. Dan Black - Alone
9. VV Brown - Crying Blood
10. Outkast - Call the Law (Feat. Janelle Monae)
11. Miss Li - Dancing the Whole Way Home
12. Lily Allen - Fuck You
13. Fryars - The Ides
14. TV on the Radio - Lover's Day
15. Marina & the Diamonds - I am not a Robot
16. Golden Silvers - Please Venus
17. Micachu - Golden Phone
18. Mina - Le Mille Bolle Blu
19. Hockey - Learn to Lose
20. Two Door Cinema Club - Something Good Can Work
21. Larrikin Love - Happy As Annie
22. Billie The Vision & The Dancers - Summercat

JULY/AUGUST 2009 - Installment 6 - WANDERING
1. Kate Miller-Heidke - Can't Shake It
2. Lily Allen - He Wasn't There
3. Hockey - Too Fake
4. Lisa Mitchell - Coin Laundry
5. Little Birdy - Harido
6. Bertie Blackman - Thump
7. Art vs. Science 0 Parlez Vous Francais?
8. Ana Laan - Paradise
9. The Basics - Just Hold On
10. Bluejuice - The Reductionist
11. Hungry Kids of Hungary - Old Money
12. Loe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong
13. Little Red - Coca Cola
14. One Night Only - Just For Tonight
15. The Pigeon Detectives - Romantic Type
16. Royworld - Dust
17. NeverShoutNever! - Trouble
18. Calvin Harris - Ready for the Weekend
19. Frankmusik - Better Off As Two
20. La Roux - Bulletproof
21. Chris Garneau - Dirty Night Clowns
22. The BPA - Seattle (Feat. Emmy the Great)
23. Q-Tip - Life is Better (Feat. Norah Jones)
24. Das Pop - Never Get Enough

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009 - Installment 7 - DECISIVENESS
1. Gunarolla - Canadian, Please
2. Little Red - Waiting
3. One Night Only - You and Me
4. Pomplamoose - Mister Sandman
5. Frankmusik - 3 Little Words
6. Little Red - Witchdoctor
7. Little Birdy - Summarize
8. Jace Everett - Bad Things
9. Fun - All the Pretty Girls
10. Friendly Fires - Skeleton Boy
11. Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
12. Das Pop - Underground
13. Hirose Kohmi - Promise (Staple for the "Geddan" meme!)
14. Annuals - Sore
15. Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band
16. Matt & Kim - Yea Yeah
17. Facing New York - Cops on Bikes
18. Swimming with Dolphins - Pajama Party
19. The Gay Blades - NHDN
20. Annuals - Hardwood Floor
21. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - The Golden Age
22. Fun - At Least I'm Not as Sad (As I Used to Be)
23. David Hasselhoff - Looking for Freedom

No comments: