Sunday, June 5, 2011

101 things in 1001 days

Nearly three years ago I embarked on an endeavor that went like this: Achieve 101 goals in 1001 days.

For the first year, I worked diligently at it, going out of my way on numerous occasions to get things things done (ie. #71. Learn how to drive a stick shift vehicle, and #34. Create a mixtape every other month and send to friends and family). However, my enthusiasm petered out once I conquered all the easy tasks, like #11. Find and write to a penpal in another country and #28. Purchase and carry a notebook to jot ideas as they come.  When I was left with tasks that required some sort of long-term dedication from me, well, I failed to commit.

In the end, I had a list that was more than half incomplete, with only 30 true achievements, 11 still en route and 59 that I had either failed to start or simply failed at (#18. Maintain a weight that is under 108 lbs, ahem). With exactly one month left, there's no other way to feel other than down-hearted. This list was my baby, my bible, my one true side-kick during a time in my life when everything was in flux. I was living in Europe and recovering from a breakup, making new friends and staring new jobs. When I didn't know how to press forward, I turned to my list and started from the top.

However, it was my long-term neglect that resulted in an untimely blog death. The Nickel Penny Mission became a site covered in a thin layer of cyberdust, collecting metaphorical interwebs as I turned a blind eye.  Though, despite the fact that it was a gradual failure, I had walked away with so many gains (#78. Abstain from biting my nails and #81. Find a home for all the clothes in my junk bags) and because of such things, I am willing to try again.

101 Things in 1001 Days... Generation II

No comments: